« MYTH: The DREAM Act is Amnesty and Other Misconceptions | Main | Visa Para no Inmigrantes Víctimas de Crímenes »

November 27, 2010

U Visa for Victims or Witnesses of Crimes

Mario Ramos, PLLC is an immigration law firm dedicated to supporting immigrants nationwide for the past 23 years. We feel a strong responsibility to talk to our community about the relatively unknown U Visa that has been a real solution for families that experienced domestic violence, single mothers who have been mentally or physically abused, and any immigrant who has been victim or witness of a crime in the United States.

Have you been the victim or witness of a crime? Do you know someone who has been the victim or witness? Here are some useful questions and answers regarding the U Visa.

What is a U Visa?
It is a visa created to help immigrants who are victims of crimes in The United States.

What is the purpose of the U Visa?
To give legal protection to victims or witnesses of crimes.

Who is a U Visa candidate?
1. A non-citizen victim or witness of a crime
2. Who has suffered substantial physical and mental abuse from the crime
3. Who possesses information concerning the criminal activity
4. Has to assist reporting the criminal activity
5. The criminal activity violated US laws or occurred in the U.S. (including Indian country and military institutions) or the territories and possessions of the U.S.

What are the most important benefits?
1. Receive U Visa nonimmigrant legal status for 4 years.
2. May to seek permanent residency (“green card”) after 3 years in U Visa status.
3. Automatic employment authorization for the principal applicant.
4. Family members may also be included on the petition and receive employment permit, U visa and permanent residency.

If I have a current temporary visa can I apply for a U Visa?
Yes, if you have a current temporary (non-immigrant) visa you can apply for a U Visa. In case your U visa application is approved you will have to cancel your current nonimmigrant visa and not renew it.

Only 10,000 U Visas may be issued in October of every year. As a consequence, it is important to contact an immigration attorney as soon as possible if you wish to apply.

Contact us at (615) 329 4588
Address; Mario Ramos, PLLC, The Tower Suite 3119, 611 Commerce Street, Nashville, TN, 37203
Facebook; at http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=830311543#!/mario.ramos.lawyer
Website http://www.mario-ramos.com

Posted by VisaLawyer at November 27, 2010 03:07 PM


Post a comment

Remember Me?

(you may use HTML tags for style)