« Redesigned Naturalization Test | Main | New York State's Drivers' License Policy is Under Attack »

October 06, 2007

FAQ; can I change employers inside the US with an H-1B1?

My girlfriend is a Singaporean national on an H1B1 visa. She got it issued at the US Embassy by bringing an offer letter and LCA. She recently received a new job offer. Her h1b1 shows validity until 2012 but for her current employer. How difficult is it to change employers while remaining in the US? If she simply goes to the embassy can she reapply for a new visa or does she need to apply for a change of her visa? if you know for certain the answers to these questions, we'd very much appreciate any insight and could discuss paying for an hour of advice if required.

She may apply to change employers while in the U.S. In order to change employers her application for the new H-1B1 must be physically received by CIS prior to taking the new job. This is called “porting”. She does not need to apply for a new visa unless her visa has or is expiring shortly. Contact me if she needs assistance in porting to the new employer.

Posted by VisaLawyer at October 6, 2007 12:19 PM


Post a comment

Remember Me?

(you may use HTML tags for style)